Let’s be honest, when was the last time you went to page 2 of Google search results? It’s probably been a long time, right? That question alone is why your business must rank on the first page of Google.
Understandably then, it makes you wonder how to get your site to the top of the list. There are several ways to get your business to rank. But first, you need to understand how Google search engine works.
How Google Search Engine Works
Google has automated systems that comb through every website on the internet. In fact, it reads every piece of content on every web page to determine the specific subject of any given page.
By utilizing the data collected, Google’s algorithms determine which web pages to show on page one and in what order.
For every keyword search, Google determines the most relevant web pages and displays them first. Then follows the second most relevant page, and so on. Google is an all-powerful search engine, getting your business on the first page may seem daunting, but the results are more than rewarding!
However, it’s not easy to rank on the first page of Google, but it can be done, especially if you hire an SEO service company!
The Importance of Ranking On The First Page Of Google
The first page of Google captures the majority of traffic, like 99.7% to be exact. So if you’re not on page 1, then you’re business is really missing out. Below is a list of reasons why you should aim for the top!
- Improve visibility: With over a trillion searches every month, getting on the first page of Google gives your website immediate exposure, creating a strong brand presence on the web. When customers get familiar with your brand, they’re likely to be receptive to conversion activities.
- Drive Traffic: The first page results capture 99.7% of web traffic, meaning only 0.3% make it to Google page 2. Those statistics alone are mind-boggling and should inspire you to aim for the stars… aka Google Page One.
- Earn Trust: Google can recognize spam and low-quality content. Showing up on the first page means that Google trusts you as a credible source of information, and consumers are likely to trust websites that Google trusts.
- Build your audience: For your website to rank on the first page of Google, your content must be relevant and of high-quality. There are no shortcuts to the top.
Proven Marketing Methods To The Top
There are two main marketing methods to get your website on Google’s page one.
- Paid for Results or Pay Per Click (PPC) – In this method, you pay to appear at the top. For every user who clicks through to your site, Google charges you a fee, which you agree to before the ads are ever created.
- Natural results achieved through SEO – Natural results are when you appear on the first page of the Google search results. In this method, you do not pay to appear. However, there are several designs and content adjustments you need to make in order to rank. That’s where SEO comes into play.
Which Is Better?
Both have merits of appearing on the first page of Google results, but using natural results is a feasible method as you do not have to pay for traffic generated. Plus, you could rank on page one for years! Keep in mind, you may not have to pay for ads, but that doesn’t mean free. Even if you do it yourself, it’s going to cost you several hours a day to maintain.
Nonetheless, PPC is another powerful method to get you to the top of Google page one. However, it’s not cheap. Not to mention, most people scroll right past the ads and go for the organic page listings. So if you ask us, we’d say SEO is the best way to rank on the first page of Google. Plus, it’s long-term, which could in return generate you thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue, so we’ll let you decide.
Components of SEO
There are several components you need to address when optimizing your website for the best search results. However, Keywords & Links are the most important, as you’ll see down below.
When developing your website’s content, you should carefully choose the keywords that you want to appear in search results. For choosing the best keywords and more, we recommend using Ahrefs.
It’s essential to understand the following three types of keywords in order to come up with the best one for your webpage:
Head Keywords: These are usually 1-2 words and have a high search volume, thus competitive and require a lot of backlinks.
Body Keywords: These are 2-3 word phrases with moderate search volume.
Long-tail Keywords: These consist of more than four words with low search volume, thus less competitive and easier to rank for. Also, they have a high click-through percentage.
The longer a Keyword phrase is, the fewer results there’s going to be. For example, If you search for ‘Shoes,’ you’ll get a half a billion search results, but if you search for ‘men’s shoes,’ you’ll get maybe half that. Finally, if you search for ‘Nike men’s running shoes,’ you’ll notice the search results are way less, making it a lot easier to rank on the first page of Google!
Once you’ve chosen your selected keywords, you’ll need to strategically place them through your content. The main areas of positioning the keywords as followed:
Web Page Title
This is what will show on Google’s search results. The web page title should explain the purpose of the site and include keywords that relate to the user’s search.
These are snippets of text that describe the site’s content. They do not become visible by the user, but only in the page’s source code. The content descriptors help tell the search engine what the page is about.
Beyond using keywords to rank on the first page of Google, backlinks are also necessary! The more top-level sites linking back to your website, the better. This shows Google that websites trust your content. Without backlinks, keywords are almost useless, as the two are both need to rank on the first page of Google.
Internally linking your web pages may favor your site as it creates a coherent network that makes it easy for Google algorithms to crawl with ease. Also, having internal links creates a better experience for users. As a benefit, Google regards your website with high value, thus improving your ranking.
Final Advice To Remember If You Want To Rank On The First Page Of Google
Google and other search engines are constantly pushing websites to produce high-quality content that’s relevant to the user’s search. Plus, they’re searching for consistency! As we just learned from Google’s May 2020 Core Update, inconsistent content can and will cause your web pages to dip in the ranks!
So if you have the time, then keep in mind, you MUST continuously improve your website’s SEO by producing top-notch content on a regular basis. In other words, if you want to rank on the first page of Google, then you need great content, and a lot of it.